

27<sup>th</sup> November 2018

Present:

Alberto Vecchio  
Ed Daw  
Nils Andersson  
Shigeng Song

Stuart Reid  
Siong Heng  
Yi-Ming Hu  
Mariela Masso Reid

*1- Update on Planetarium exhibit for next year.*

Siong: Discussions regarding organizing exhibit in the Beijing Planetarium, this was discussed in the last call but I don't see them present on this call. Would anyone else want to say anything re this? We will contact them by email.

*2- -Update on WPS as per items on the wiki page.*

Siong: Next update is on the WPs, first item is **WP1**. Des emailed and said he wasn't available but Shigeng will give update.

Shigeng : Des is preparing the paperwork for a project with Tong Ji University on a Q measurement tank. There is also a project with Fudan University involving Glasgow univ and machine learning.

Siong: We also need to organize some engagement with a list of partners that might be interested in talking to us (GW researchers) , has Des mentioned this to you Shigeng?

Shigeng: Not talked about this with Des but he'll be back at the end of this week so will get back to that.

Siong: Nils would you like to say something on **WP3**?

Nils: I am just finishing the details, I will be going to Beijing the second week of January. I am arranging through a friend of mine in Hong Kong a f2f with numerical people.

Siong: There is a person in Beijing normal University who does some numerical relativity related to neutron star as well. I think some people have mention this person but I don't think the first contact has been made. But perhaps I can put you in contact with him and conversations can start. From the f2f meeting in China it was mentioned that there should be discussions between UK / China on this so if you are there it could be done as a f2f meeting.

Nils: Yes that would be great, I think f2f would be a great way to start this. Send me the details as well as anyone else and we can start this going.

Siong: Anyone else would like to say anything re **WP2**? – Education. Neither Martin nor Zhu here to talk about this but lets open the floor and see if anyone would like to say anything re public engagement and outreach.

Siong: The idea is to transfer some of the exhibit stands, there are many exhibits from royal societies or otherwise, send to china for the planetarium for a temp exhibit that could last months and the idea is to put one for GW.

*Nils:* I'm just checking because when you are talking about materials and we are at the moment doing one for leaflets for India, and we could do something similar for China. I think we have lots of material in English but it might be great to have it translated to the local language to breach communication.

*Siong:* We've sort of talked about this before and I think it should definitely be something we should do.

*Alberto:* This is Alberto, do you know if Martin got in touch with Andreas, I know this was supposed to happen but I am not sure if it has. I know Andreas has been thinking about translating things to Chinese here. Are there any dates, timescales we need to be aware of?

*Siong:* I am not really sure what the timescale is but I know Martin was going to contact Andreas, so that as been discussed but I am not sure if it has.

*Alberto:* If we had in mind specifics (dates) for this exhibition then I think we should do a join effort to get the work translated and I think we could get it done as group.

*Siong:* I think that's true if we have a date then we can for that. Let's speak to Martin and Prof Zhu and we can get this sorted.

*Siong:* Lets them move to **WP4**, this is instrumentations and measurements. Stuart is here so would Stuart like to say something about this?

*\*Stuart trouble with Mic \**

*Yi-ming:* I didn't prepare anything specifically, but there is some movement towards forming an international collab re the project. So if someone is interested from both data and instrumental then that would be great.

*Alberto:* Can I add something else here when there's a minute. So there hasn't been very much work done on this side worth a while and one of the reason is that the space situation was very much influx on our side giving the beginning of the LISA consortium, etc. I believe things are now starting to be in a more sufficient state where I think it would be useful to have a workshop, aimed at bringing together people with data analysis expertise and simulation. Not specific to any mission but part of developing skills and also doing some original work on this. I was wondering if between after Easter and beginner of summer, if we should organize a workshop. Given the type of tools we are developing then we could work on this together.

*Siong:* I agree, that sounds like a good idea. I would guess that you are thinking about a hands on workshop maybe in China, so we can get more students? Is that what you had in mind? I

*Alberto:* Yes, I am happy to work with any venue, whether in Birmingham or in the UK. Or if we have good reason to have it in China then that works too. One could be a hands on part focused on getting students up to speed with tools , etc. and a mini workshop on the science, astronomy, etc where we can bring more senior people such as staff and postdocs in order to strengthen the links.

*Siong:* I see what you are saying I think that is a very interesting idea, I think you should send an email to the list and we can start the discussion on this.

*Alberto:* My thoughts were that the training part could be a one week workshop and the other could be a two day workshop. Do you know if there's a period of when we should organize this?

*Siong:* I suspect that if its hand on, I think Yi-ming should jump here because I think he has students that would benefit from this , so PhDs would have more flexibility, but if we want masters or other students then maybe we need to work outside of the academic year.

*Yi-ming*: I think it should be fine, is the same for masters and PhDs. I think it would be more beneficial to do that between July-Aug, summer time. I would suggest that to make it most convenient for student.

*Alberto*: Alright! So maybe we should target July. I need to check the calendar but if we start looking at it now we can try and have a concrete plan and be able to finalize it at the meeting in Glasgow, leaving 4 months or so to organize.

*Yi-ming*: Great, I think we should finalize this. We have a summer school during summer time and I think it would be great to merge these together.

*Alberto*: we'll follow up in email but I think this is great. Sorry for hijacking the call

*Mariela*: Apologies for interrupting, Stuart apologizes as his mic seems to not be working, but he just wanted to add that he's been working with Des on the proposal with Tong-Ji University and they would get this to us soon. (Update WP2)

*Siong*: Thank you Mariela, jumping back to **WP4-WP5**, anyone want to give an update? OK, then thank you everyone for the updates. Seems lots to follow up which we should do soon. OK, lets move on to the expenditure update.

- 3- -Expenditure update - A reminder that you can apply for funds (and are encouraged) by filling in an application form:

[https://gilsay.physics.gla.ac.uk/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=great\\_network:meet:start:document](https://gilsay.physics.gla.ac.uk/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=great_network:meet:start:document)

*Mariela*: Hi everyone, Apologies I'm trying to gather all the information up to date on the financial side and will send an email later on this.

*Siong*: We have some extra institutional award money that we are using to buy 2 tabletop interferometers. The idea would be to send these to two universities in China. Once is ready we will let you know and send them through. The idea is to have these as a device for undergrad. We also waiting to hear from Ed re his expenses from China.

Also, a reminder that there are these forms to support travel and to some very small extend to support. Please think about filling about these forms, so please contact me and or Mariela.

- 4- -Next f2f meeting in Glasgow - please fill in Doodle poll for potential dates, these are week commencing 25th Feb and 4th March:

<https://doodle.com/poll/c3qkw7a9p7qq9gkm>

*Siong*: The next thing in the item is the f2f meeting in Glasgow, on the week of the 25<sup>th</sup>, the Glasgow people are busy on the Wednesday but we have the two days before or after and then there's also the week of the 4<sup>th</sup>. So please fill the poll so we can choose date for this.

- 5- AOB

*Siong*: Are there any other points people would like to discuss? If not, then thank you for your time and we will have one more call before the end of the year.

Thank you.