

26th March 2019

Present:

- Fan xilong
- Jinlong Zhang
- Laura Nuttal
- Nils Andersson
- Shigeng Song
- Siong
- Yan
- Yi-ming
- Mariela Masso
- Stuart Reid

Minutes:

Siong: Identify the talks we want to give in the sessions. We will give everyone a few seconds to look at the link.

<https://great.physics.gla.ac.uk/program/glasgowmeet/agenda/>

Siong: Welcome to the telecon, from the circulation link we want to try and add more details to the agenda.

Current skeleton agenda is similar to the one we had in Beijing where we had sessions specific to each work package where we would have sessions and discussions associated with those packages.

The meeting will start on the 1st of May, and end at mid day a lunch time on the 3rd of May. So at the moment the draft agenda just starts with WP1 – 5 and the timings can be changed. But let's think of what topics can go on those packages and we can then adjust things because I know not everyone can attend the meeting. Last time we checked we had about 25 people coming from China. We have also received request from TianQin, Tongji, in addition to BNU. I see Jan is here, can you say if anyone needs

Yan: we will email in a few days to ask for new letter, but we will need to

Shigeng: regarding the invitation. It seems they also need information for hotel.

Siong: not everybody has asked for this information

Nils: Some people require hotels for visa.

Siong: If you need a hotel booking please email myself and Mariela and we will sort this out.

Siong: Yiming, if you can tell us the updated participants from Sun Yat sen university it would also be good mainly for logistic purposes and also if they require hotel bookings we need to know who they are.

Yiming: Ok, Siong. Actually I sent an email earlier to you about the update of the participants list. But must be buried under the pile of emails.

Siong: Sorry I hadn't realized that that was all of them now. Can you re send that list to make it clear that these are the people that will come.

Yiming: sure.

Siong: It looks we have a good engagement from China and we look forward to seeing you all here. Mariela we should probably start putting a list of participants so people can put their names and talks.

Mariela: I will send an email around so people can register and put ideas for talks.

Siong: Yes this is good idea and possibly a good place to start looking at the agenda, I guess are there any questions on logistics, visa, hotels, flights or anything related to this?

Siong: Ok, then lets move to have a look at the agenda quickly. In the WP1 sessions and is my personal view, and should probably have more discussion of this later. We have a list of people interested in engaging maybe other people for economic growth and innovation. We have some ongoing projects which could be a success and it would be to have an update on the ongoing links and projects but also some opportunity to discuss how we can expand engagement in this work package for those interested. We have this list on the wikipage where pple listed what they were interested and I wonder how we can circulate this list around to interested parties in the UK and China. Maybe we should have a discussion about this. I can from a local point of view, talk to people in Glasgow who do this sort of links and see if they might be interested in talking to us so maybe we can have some industrial speakers coming to the meeting as well.

Siong: If nobody else wants to say anything else on WP1, then lets move to WP2. We have two people coming over from the Beijing planetarium, we've trying to put together an exhibition for gravitational waves and I think they can update on that activity and try and move it forward. But are there other talks that we can give in this session, things we can highlight, resources and such. So can maybe be for discussion later but would anyone be interested in saying anything about this now?

Siong: Okay, then there's WP3, one of the clear things would be to have an update on the NR linkage the Nils has been driving and if necessary to discuss the summer school that Nils has been working on Southampton.

Nils: I am not entirely sure if I can make it to the meeting because is the first week of teaching. But yes by then we will have everything more or less plan, at the moment we have. The list of participants already and programs and plans. And actually there will be enough time between the meeting and the school in July that we can still influence things.

Siong: If you cant make it Nils, is there anyone else that could come as a representative.

Nils: Am I right in thinking that this could be on the Thursday is that roughly what you have in mind?

Nils: OI think Thursday could be a possibility regardless. We can discuss later.

Siong: At this point we have room for moving sessions. But let us know so we can set things up.

Siong: the other question I had was there was some discussion with joint activities or multiple detector analysis and so, I know pple have been busy but it hasn't materialize, I think pple thought it was a good idea to have either a network of ground base detectors or multiband or network of spaced based detectors for studies and maybe we can go bac to that theme and see if we can identify things more clearly on what we need to work on as well. Anyone want to say anything about Data analysis?

Xilong: I am sorry that I cannot attend. But I sill summarize the ideas from China and maybe Yiming can't help present the talk.

Sionhg: Ok, thank you, yes I think that would be nice.

Yan: I am sorry that Xilong can't attend but I am wondering if perhaps you want me or Yiming to present on your behalf, any highlights or anything on your research.

Xilong: I will summarize the upgrades from the data analyse and I think you can help me.

Siong: great thank you. Ok anything else on WP3? Data analysis modelling? WP4 is ultra high precision measurements, more about coatings. We heard in the I last call Efforts to have a

10m prototype in BNU, It would be interesting to hear more about this activity and how we can engage, I am wondering if we can have participants who can give a talk. Xilong, do you know anyone from the experimental people that will come.

Xilong: sorry I don't have any information.

Siong: I think I remember seeing a request from experimental people as well. I guess it would also be important to give a talk on coatings.

It would be

Stuart: I will be happy to gave a talk and will liaise with Shigeng and Des. To make sure we cover all the UK ide.

Siong: There are request from Tongji to attend as well is that right?

Stuart: Yes, I think so, Shigeng is more aware of who would be coming from Tongji.

Shigeng: From Tongji side I will contact them for more details and will get back to you.

Siong: It would be nice to have an idea of what they want to talk about.

Stuart: Shigeng can you also let them know if they want to bring students along and stay for longer to work on joint projects. We should push for that because it would be good opportunity.

Shigeng I will let them know and email them to confirm.

Siong: OK then. Anything else on WP4? Then WP5, space detetcors. I think we have lots of participants from SYSUYN and would be great to hear updates. I haven't heard from Tim to see if he is coming to the meeting but of course we have the people at Glasgow who will be made aware of the meeting. Yiming you have previously mentioned the people from Glasgow aerospace department have you contact them>

Yiming: I have been encouraging our colleagues in the aerospace dept to contact the aerospace people in Glasgow. I haven't heard anything yet but I will double check on them and give you an update.

Siong: I would recommend they contact them directly but if they need me to put them in contact I can do it.

Yiming: I think that they told me previously that they had sent an email to initiate discussion but I am not sure about the current status. But I will update later.

Siong: What other kind of discussions do we want to have in WP5? And also would the tianqin people like to have a tour of the Glasgow space lab. If so let us know so we can let them know to be ready.

Yiming: I think that would be a good idea but not just for the space people but I think everyone might be interested in .

Siong: I think Friday afternoon might work but we would need to make sure that people aren't leaving straight after the meeting but are available for lab tours. But there are also other labs they can tour around. But we need to be ready for lab tour and see if pple are aviable for Friday afternoon.

Yan: we are certainly interested to attend this tour and Prof. Zebing Zhou might also want to give some updates on experimental research or maybe give a talk on WP5.

Siong: OK sounds great. Thank you.

I think based on everything we've heard so far we will add some updates to the draft agenda and circulate this.

Yiming: The agenda for WP5, we are certainly very eager to present are progress, but is there anyone else happy to present for example LISA or others?

Siong: In principle Tim being the representative from Imperial could give an update but if he can't then certainly someone in Glasgow can give a talk. We will make sure someone from LISA can give an update. We will make sure there is at least an update from LISA on our side, *Yiming:* I know pple in Portsmouth have been working on LISA and it might be a good idea to hear their progress.

Siong: that's more or less the agenda. So on the Friday morning is there mainly as an overflow sessions because we have a lot of discussions . I wonder if we want to have a breakout session before the last day to have sometime basically dedicated to discussion and see how things are going and how to move forward and then come back and report on the discussions from the breakout sessions, maybe an hour breakout session for a more focused discussion. Apart from that , the remaining time on Friday morning is loose discussion time and maybe this is a good time to have further engagement with industrial partners. I will try and find speaker suitable for thins. But any thought on how to best get collaborations going? We can put our thinking hats for the next few weeks. And maybe come back with any thought on this. It'll maybe be clearer once we have a more solid agenda.

Siong: he other discussion item on was WP updates, are there any updates that weren't mention that should be mentioned now? Ok, then that's more or less the end of the Agenda. I would like to add one extra point of discussion, given that we have this meeting on the start of May I would like to suggest we have a call two weeks from now, **Tuesday 9th of April and then 23rd of April** mainly to finalize the details for the meeting. Any objections? Anything else pple would like to add?

Yiming: Can I add something else. Maybe Alberto Vecchio mentioned about the possibility of sending students from China to the UK and sharing them between different groups. This is one of the things we should discuss in May.

Siong: The idea is to have a "summer school" week long, slightly higher than basic level on GW topics, then groups on China can send students over and then they can receive training and after the school they will be hosted by different groups for about a month, they will be funded by the GrEAT. The suggested time scale is September, for this to happened we need to list this in the agenda for the meeting. Alberto suggested that the school will happen in Birmingham and then they can go to the various institutions for one month. Any feedback on this would be great and hopefully people are happy to engage on this.

Siong: Questions or comments? Any other business? I am assuming this is the beginning on the Birmingham end and that we will be discussing this further in the meeting in May.

Nils: Can I ask a question please, is a practical question with the school we are setting up, about paying for things, is it easier if we pay ourselves or invoice Glasgow.

Mariela: I'm in contact at the moment from our finance team and see if we can send the budget to you. For things like flights and accommodation we can buy immediately ourselves and then the rest can just be transferred.

Nils: Great, okay we can keep discussing this later then.

Mariela: Before we go just to remind everyone if you need for your visa flights and hotel please let us know ASAP.

Siong: Yes, let us know and if necessary we will cover the costs. If there are no more topics, then we should end this call and speak to you in two weeks. Thank you everyone.